Thursday, January 31, 2008

To Sleep, Perchance to Dream

Image for a moment I was telling you about a dream I had last night. I was flying above the clouds, farther and farther away from my home. This causes me to wonder... What does this dream mean? Does it have any purpose? I decided to find the answers by studying oneirology and using the three main dream theories. The most unusual of these theories is Dream ESP.

Dream ESP is just how it sounds. Using the dream from the introduction, depending on how I was flying, Dream ESP says that one of the following could be in my future. If I dreamed I was flying so high that I could actually touch the moon and stars this portends many different types of global disaster that I may soon hear of. If I flew high with black wings I was warned that I am headed for a letdown of magnitude. Dream ESP says that only the few that are truly open to their spiritual side can remember their dreams, thus deciphering them and knowing what will be.

In example, the book, The Dimensions of Dreams cites a story where a little girl told her mother, "I dreamed I went to school and there was no school there. Something black had come down all over it. I'm not afraid to die because I shall be there with Peter and June." The next day her school was destroyed by a stream of coal slag, the little girl and her friends inside were never found. Is this an example of dream ESP?

Marci Pliskin made a great point in her book Interpreting Your Dreams, "...Prophetic dreams can be attributed to 'fine cuing,' or by the process where the unconscious picks up nonverbal warnings, subtle vibes, or small impressions." Maybe this was how the little girl knew of the tragedy headed her way. What if she had unconsciously picked up on the clues and then dreamed of them while in a more relaxed state of mind?

That such viewpoint is considered sub-conscience hints. Sub-conscience hints are when a person notices something in their waking life, but shove it to the back of their minds. Once again utilizing my dream from the introduction, this theory states that my dream could be trying to tell me about a few things. Maybe I was throughout the day and I needed to feel free, so I dreamed of soaring away from my problems. Or possibly in my waking life I noticed a story about a sky-diver a few moments before I went to bed, so I dreamed of sky-diving myself. While I was sleeping, my mind was free to wander. Trying to keep the brain occupied, my mind caused me to dream. This theory states that my dream was composed of what was going on during my day.

In the book, Interpreting Your Dreams, Dr. Just talks about how Mary Shelley came up with the idea for her story, Frankenstein. "...Before going to bed [Mary Shelley] was encouraged to write down a horror story. That night she had a nightmare that became the basis for her book." By telling horror stories directly before she went to bed, Mary Shelley dictated what she would be dreaming about.

Jayne Gackenbach states in her book, The Emerging Mind, "Dreams speak to us in a language of metaphor. While awake, we may use words that evoke images but we don't directly live the images. In dreams, we live the visual image of the metaphor. So what if none of your dreams seem to be telling you anything of the future, or they won't ever make you a famous detective someday for discovering that hidden clue? Well, then you might believe the third theory.

Nearly all of our dreams make no sense, thus making most of us believe that dreams really have no scientific purpose. This is called the mind chatter theory, which implies that dreaming has no purpose in life other than to occupy the brain while a person is resting. Yet again inserting my dream of flying, this theory states that my mind had to stay occupied while resting, so it played a movie to entertain itself. It may have taken things from my waking life so that I would understand it, but not enough to wake up. But, there was no real meaning for the dream.

Dreaming is much like that brain in the fact that scientists know enough about it to be even more intrigued. The Waking to Our Dreams website states that everyone dreams, even the blind. The average human has 100,000 dreams in their lives. That's roughly 1,300 a year or 3 a night. The Purple Shaman DreamSite says that people have been studying dreams since the Egyptians. So, if everyone dreams and there have been studies for thousands of years, assuming humans have been dreaming for just as long, why can't anyone really tell us why?

The answer may be that dreaming is too much like the brain. Scientists haven't yet found a way to explore either with our current technology. Maybe, in the future, we will find out which theory is correct. Do dreams foretell us of our own futures? Are our minds telling us about the things we took for granted during the day? Or are our psyches just creatively keeping us busy during the night so that they can regenerate? But, if this speech has put any of you to sleep, then you might be able to tell me which theory is right...


Bibliography

Fore, Anthony. An In-depth Look to Why We Dream.

An In-depth Look to Why We Dream. 19 Sept. 2005.

08 Sept. 2005

Gackenbach, Jayne. "Sleep and Consciousness." The Emerging Mind. Ed. Karen Nesbitt Shanor. Los

Angeles: Renaissance Books, 1999. 73-103.

One Step Beyond (Waking to Our Dreams). Ed. Gavin Brown. 25 Aug. 2005. 08 Sept. 2005

.

Pliskin, Marci. "Are You Dreaming?" The Complete Idiots Guide to Interpreting Your Dreams. Ed. Jessica

Faust. New York: Aramath, 1999. 5-57.

Shakespeare, William. "Act Three, Scene One." 1596-1616.

Hamlet. Ed. Alan Durband. Hauppauge: Barron's Educational Series, Inc., 1986. 142-145.

Tennant, Rich. "The 5th Wave." Comic Strip. Dreams for Dummies. Foster City: IDG Books Worldwide,

Inc., 2001. 217.

Vedfelt, Ole. "Dreams and Parapsychology." Trans. Kenneth Tindall. The Dimensions of Dreams.

Denmark: Gyldendal, 1999. 222-241.

Wong, Janet S. "Falling." Night Garden Poems from the World of Dreams. Ed. Margaret K. McElderry.

New York: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing, 2000. 17.

No comments: